Saturday, will be cool (50s) and rainy in the Piedmont. If you’ve got stuff you need to get done (yardwork excluded), this would be the day to get it done because —
Sunday will be dry, sunny and cool (50s) in the Piedmont. Sunday could also be your last chance to catch good fall color in the region. Wondering where to go?
* NCHikes November hike recommendations. NCHikes.com, our sister site, has just posted its six recommendations for hikes especially suited to November. Why November? You’ll have to go here to see. www.nchikes.com
* BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina Health & Wellness Blog recommendations, Piedmont. Earlier this month we recommended five hikes in the Piedmont with great color and minimal crowds. Check ‘em out here.
* BlueCrossBlueShield of North Carolina recommendations, Coast. On Wednesday, we recommended five hikes at the Coast that should be starting to pop. Check those out here.
* GetGoingNC. Earlier this week, we posted five short urban walks/hikes where you’ll find good color. Revisit that post here.
* Great Outdoor Provision Co. Online Hiking Guide. If a hike close to home is a priority there’s a good chance you’ll find one on the Great Outdoor Provision Co. Online Hiking Guide, which we collaborated on. Find that guide, with 55 hikes near the state’s major metro areas, here.
One last reminder that winter weather is hitting the high country starting tonight. That means:
* Drop the ropes! One or two ski areas could open. With as much as 10 inches of snow forecast for higher elevations, and snowmaking-friendly cold temperatures, we might see two north North Carolina ski areas in operation (at least briefly). SkiSoutheast.com will keep you updated on the situation, as will the two areas most likely to open, Cataloochee and Sugar Mountain.
* Travel may be affected. Snow will close the Blue Ridge Parkway, check its status here. Check road conditions on North Carolina roads and highways here.
* North Carolina State Parks at higher elevations may be affected. Check NCparks.gov before heading out.
Have a swell weekend!