Today, we take a slightly different tack. Instead of singling out specific events, we’re identifying events by category. Click the link for details.
It’s fitting that on this Labor Day Weekend there are four paddling excursions in North Carolina’s State Parks. After all, Labor Day does mark the titular end of summer, and thus, the last big hurrah for water-related activities. Saturday alone there are three paddling excursions:
- Beginner Paddle Boarding, 9 a.m., Cliffs of the Neuse State Park, Seen Springs
- Lake Tillery Paddle, 9:30 a.m., Morrow Mountain State Park, Albemarle
- Summer Paddle, 10 a.m., Dismal Swamp State Park, South Mills
- Kids Kayaking Camp Orientation, 9 a.m., Monday, Hammocks Beach State Park, Swansboro
In the water
You paddle, you’re on the water (hopefully). With these events, you roll up your pant legs and hop right in.
- Cast Netting, Saturday, 9 a.m., Hammocks Beach State Park, Swansboro
- Creek Creep, Saturday, 1 p.m., Mayo River State Park, Mayodan
- Stream Safari, Saturday, 2 p.m., Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap
Labor Day is also the titular start of fall and the fall hiking season. To wit …
- Carnivorous Plant Hike, Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m., Carolina Beach State Park, Carolina Beach
- Mountain Loop Guided Hike, Sunday, 9:30 a.m., Morrow Mountain State Park, Albemarle
- Haiku Hike, Sunday, 10:30 a.m., Eno River State Park, Durham
- Monarch Butterfly Movie and Milkweed Hike, Monday, 2 p.m., Umstead State Park, Raleigh
GetHiking! this weekend
What are our GetHiking! groups in North Carolina and Virginia up to this weekend? Plenty, thanks for asking …
GetHiking! House Mountain Hike,Saturday, 8 a.m., Fontaine Research Park, Charlottesville. Strenuous. 8.2-miles. Hike highlights: Little House Mountain, Big House Mountain. Learn more here.
GetHiking! Charlottesville: Saint Marys Falls,Saturday, August 31, 8:30 a.m., King’s Gourmet Popcorn, Afton. Moderate. 5.5-mile hike through multiple cascading swimming holes. Learn more here.
GetHiking! Triad: End of Summer at Stone Mountain,Saturday, August 31, 9 a.m., Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap. Moderately Strenuous. 8.5-miles through rocky terrain and multiple cascading pools. Learn more here.
GetHiking! Triangle: So Long Summer hike at Stone Mountain,Saturday, August 31, 9 a.m., Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap. Moderately Strenuous. 8.5-miles through rocky terrain and multiple cascading pools. Learn more here.
GetHiking! Charlottesville: Rapidan Camp Loop Hike,Sunday, September 1, 9 a.m., Barracks Road Shopping Center, Charlottesville. Moderately Strenuous. 7.4-mile hike through the Central District of Shenandoah National Park. Learn more here.
GetHiking! Triangle: Pre Labor Day Bobbitt Hole Hike and Swim,Sunday, September 1, 2 p.m., Eno River State Park, Durham. Easy. 1.7-mile hike through flat terrain to Bobbitt swimming hole. Learn more here.
Live the video
The opportunities for after-work hikes may be dwindling, but the coming fall weather means we’ll be out rediscovering some of our favorite local hikes — like the 3.75-mile Cox Mountain lollipop loop at Eno River State Park. Find vital information on doing your own Cox Mountain hike at Eno River State Park here.
Looking for more options for weekend adventure? Check out our GetOut! Find An Adventure resource page here.