In the beginning (2013), there were nearby days hikes, 2 to 4 miles at first, then longer. By 2015, it was apparent that our GetHiking! hikers wanted to go farther afield, so we created the North Carolina’s Classic Hikes series, visiting some of the state’s classic destinations: Doughton Park, Linville Gorge, Mount Mitchell, Shining Rock, Panthertown Valley and more. Most of those trips involved a weekend of hiking from a base camp campsite.
In 2016, we renamed the monthly series Southeast’s Classic Hikes, to reflect our expansion into Virginia. This past year, we tinkered with the concept some more — emphasizing shorter hikes and more relaxation with a series of Classic Escapes.
In 2018, we’re sticking with the Classic Escapes concept with a mix of day trips and weekend basecamp adventures. Dates are approximate and we may add a destination or two, but as of the first of 2018, here’s our lineup:
- March 24: Pilot Mountain State Park, an 8-mile hike from the base of Pilot to the summit and back
- April 21: Morrow Mountain State Park, trails tbd.
- May 18-20: Black Mountains. Two days of hiking the highest mountain range east of South Dakota’s Black Hills. Our first camping outing of the season, at the Briar Bottom Campground on the South Toe River.
- June 15-17: Wilson Creek/Linville Gorge. Hiking two of the state’s most rugged (and watery) locations, with base camp at Linville Falls.
- Sept. 14-17: Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in Virginia. Trails tbd.
- October: Grandfather Mountain, with base camp at a nearby lodge.
- To be scheduled: Peaks of Otter, Virginia.
We’ll have the schedule for the first half of 2018 nailed down in January. Check back here or on the GetHiking! Triangle Meetup site for details as they become available. And get ready for a year of Classic Escapes!