What makes for a good beginner hike?
- It’s a bit subjective, starting with the question of how “beginner” the beginner is. In general, though, a good beginner hike:
- Is less than 3 miles long
- Has flat to gently rolling terrain, with no steep climbs or descents
- Has foot-friendly tread, with few rocks and tree roots to derail the hiker
- Is relatively easy to find
That’s the criteria we used to evaluate hikes for our GetHiking! 5 Great Hikes for Beginning Hikers. In this packet you’ll find:
- Brumley North Family Nature Preserve, Hillsborough
- Confluence Natural Area, Hillsborough
- Seven Mile Creek Natural Area, Orange County
- Knight Brown Nature Preserve, Stokesdale (north of Greensboro)
- Sal’s Branch Trail, Umstead State Park, Raleigh
Our guides give you all the information you need to hike each trail, including a map, detailed hike description, logistics (including directions to the trailhead), a video tour, and an overview of the hike.