At its northern trailhead off NC 58 near Maysville, the Weetock Trail seems like just another trail: there’s parking, an obvious trailhead, even a kiosk. And there’s easy-to-follow trail — for the first few miles. But then you cross a dirt road and … is that the trail on the other side? Or does it head down the road (which way?) for a spell? The trail’s uncertainty is one of the things we love most about it; that and the fact it dives deep into woods that are oddly comforting on a cold, sunny day. It’s one of our favorite winter hikes.
A favorite, too, because of the diversity found along the way. There’s a little pine savannah, a upland coastal forest. There are dense coastal woods and places where the trail deftly avoids blackwater swamp. There are intimate stretches as well as stretches where the forest parts into open meadows.
If you’re especially intrigued by a hike that requires navigational skills, you will love this hike. We will provide a map of the known trail, along with a compass for those who need one. Basic navigational skills are recommended, but not required, for this hike.
- When: Saturday, Jan. 23, 2023, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: We’ll meet in nearby Cape Carteret, at a location to be tba, and drive a short distance to the trailhead.
- Distance: 11 miles
- Difficulty: The trail is flat, with a gentle rise here and there. On the second half of the trail there will be some downfall to negotiate.
Upon payment, you’ll receive:
- 7-page eguide for this trip including: map, route description, nearby camping and lodging (recommended, due to the early start), tips and recommendations on appropriate clothing and gear, additional information pertinent to the trip. NOTE: This is not an automatic download; it will be emailed separately.
- GetHiking! Finding Your Way 2-page tips guide on navigating off trail.
This trip also includes:
- Zoom planning session on Tuesday, Jan, 24, at 6 p.m.
Refund policy: Full refunds given for cancelations made 14 days or more in advance of the start of the trip; credit toward a future GetHiking! event is offered for cancelations made 2 days to 13 days in advance; no refund is offered for cancelations made within 2 days of the start of the trip.