It’s never been more important to take care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. And it’s never been easier or safer to do the one thing that helps you do both.
Go for a hike.
Hiking has long been credited with a range of health benefits, from lowering your blood pressure and boosting your immune system, to improving your mood and and helping you sleep at night. Now, it’s been deemed perhaps the safest exercise you can do: it’s outdoors, it’s easy to physically distance yourself from others, it’s accessible — probably more so than you know.
Welcome to Let’s GetHiking! Winter 2020-21 Series for the Aspiring Hiker. Our goal, since we launched GetHiking! in 2013, is to give those new to hiking the tools and confidence to get out and explore on their own. Here’s how our Let’s GetHiking! program works:
- What: Eleven Sunday afternoon hikes on trails throughout the Triangle.The hikes: We hike a relaxed, beginner-friendly pace — between 2 and 2.5 mph — on trails ranging from 1.5 miles (at the beginning) to 4 miles (at the end).When: Sundays beginning Dec. 13 and ending Feb. 28. The hikes begin at 1 p.m.
Includes: In addition to 11 hikes, you’ll receive:
- Kick-off Zoom meeting to discuss how the hikes will work, what gear you’ll need, how-to-dress and more
- Weekly enewsletter with tips, resources, gear recommendations, and a guide for that week’s hike
- Guide to 25 Triangle Trails
- “Let’s GetHiking! A Quick and Comprehensive Guide for the Aspiring Hiker (Second Edition),” with everything an aspiring hiker needs to know.
Safety: To insure your safety, the size of this program is limited to 10 hikers. Masks are required at the trailhead.
Join! To learn more and register, go here
Where we hike
Dec. 13 Eno River State Park, Durham. 1.5 miles
Dec. 20 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section H (Shinleaf Recreation Area), Raleigh. 3 miles
Jan. 3 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section T (Red Mill Road), Durham. 3 miles
Jan. 10 Horton Grove Nature Preserve, Bahama. 3.2 miles
Jan. 17 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section S (Red Mill Road), Durham. 3.5 miles
Jan. 24 Butner Game Lands at Falls Lake, Bahama. 4.5 miles
Jan. 31 Little River Regional Park, Durham/Orange county line. 3.5 miles
Feb. 7 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section P (Hickory Hill Boat Ramp), Raleigh. 3 miles
Feb. 14 Raven Rock State Park: Avents Creek Access, Fuquay-Varina. 4 miles
Feb. 21 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section L (Rollingview Access), Raleigh. 3 miles
Feb. 28 Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Day-Hike Section M (Rollingview Access), Raleigh. 4.3 miles