We launched our GetBackpacking! program in 2014; since then, we’ve graduated more than 230 new backpackers. Here’s the plan for our Fall 2020 session:
* Getting to know you, getting to know your gear. In this Zoom session we’ll spend a little time getting to know one another and learning why you’re interested in backpacking. Then, we’ll go over the different typed of gear, focusing on good options for beginners. 1.5 hours.
* Training Day. In full gear, we will meet at Eno River State Park for a day-long training session that will go over: Evaluating a campsite, setting up camp, breaking camp, meal preparation (including the various food and cooking options on the trail). Expect to hike about 5 miles in full pack, during which we will work on hiking technique (including the use of trekking poles), ensuring a good pack fit, adjusting your pack during the hike to make sure it continues to fit, and more. We will spend 5 hours on this session.
* Graduation hike. Three-day, two-night trip to South Mountains State Park (http://ncparks.gov/south-mountains-state-park), a great place for your first trip.
* Fee. Cost of the program is $195. In addition to the above, you’ll receive:
• Info packet, including gear lists, tips sheets, and 10 great places to backpack in North Carolina once you’ve graduated.
• eguide outlining the program and covering what you’ll learn.
• Loaner gear. We have a limited number of backpacks and tents available on a first-requested, first-awarded basis, at no extra charge.’
• Zoom Getting to know you, getting to know your gear: Thursday, Oct. 1.
• Training Day: Saturday, Oct. 3, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Eno River State Park
• Graduation trip: Friday afternoon thru Sunday, October 23-25, South Mountains State Park, Connelly Springs.
NOTE: Minimum age for the program is 13, ages 13 through 17 must be in the program with an adult (we define adult generously as anyone 18 or older).