Face it: you miss your coworkers. One of the things many of us have learned over the past six months is how much we miss people, even the people we thought we could never miss. Even if you’re working from home and engaged in periodic Zoom meetings, it’s nice to see and hear your coworkers. But it isn’t the same as being with them.
Research over the past six months increasingly supports the idea that, when it comes to staying safe from the coronavirus, your best bet is to be outdoors. To continue to social distance yourself — to keep a minimum of six feet between you and the next guy — and to wear a mask when you can’t, but otherwise, the outdoors is the place to be. (Of course, we’ve always known that, right?)
So, in an effort to reunite you — again, safely — with co-workers and friends, we’re introducing GetHiking! with Co-Workers and Friends, a customized hiking series that let’s you get together for one hour a week to hike and catch up with your people.
Here’s how it works:
- Weekly hikes. Once a week for eight weeks, we will take your crew on a 1-hour hike somewhere in the Triangle. If your people are largely in the eastern Triangle (Raleigh, Cary), we’ll hike there; if they’re in the western Triangle (Durham, Chapel Hill), we’ll schedule your hikes in that area. If you don’t care, we’ll spread them around.
- Hikes based on ability. If you’re crew seeks a good workout, we’ll take you on hikes that are a little more aerobic, likely in the 3- to 4-mile range. If you’re more into socializing and scenery, we’ll take you on trails suited to a more civil pace. These hikes will be 2-3 miles.
- Group size. We’ll take groups as small as 5, but no more than 10.
- When. We will offer these hikes Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m
- Ground rules. The ground rules for these hikes will be the same as we have in place for our other GetHiking! hikes:
- Face masks. You must wear a face mask when we gather at the trailhead; you can remove it once we start hiking, but keep it handy in case we run into other hikers.
- Keep your distance. You must keep a minimum of 6 feet apart. If you’re not familiar with hiking, hikers rarely get that close on the trail in normal times.
- Under the weather? If you’re not feeling well, stay home.
- Cost. The fee is $115 per hiker for 5-7 hikers, $105 per hiker for 8-10 hikers.
Getting started: To sign up, make a $100 deposit here. Once we receive your deposit, we’ll send you a short questionnaire asking:
- The number of people in your group (between 5 and 10)
- Where you prefer to hike (eastern Triangle, western Triangle, it matters not)
- Day of the week and time of day you would like to hike (starting at 9 a.m. and ending at 3 p.m.)
- When you would like to start
When we receive that information, we’ll respond with the schedule for your group, noting the day, time and location of your hike. We will also send a list of how your group should dress, what they should bring, and what to expect. Each week, at least two days before your hike, you will receive an eguide for that week’s hike, including a map of the route, trail description, mileage guide, where to meet and more. Twenty-four hours before your hike, you will receive a reminder, plus a report on the weather forecast. In addition to the weekly eguide, each member of your group will receive a copy of “Explore Your Neighborhood: A Guide to Discovering the World Immediately Around You,” to help you create your own local adventures. Once you confirm our hike plan, you will be billed for the remainder of the fee.
Start today by making a $100 nonrefundable deposit!
We look forward to hiking with you and your crew!