OK, it’s been hotter than a cup of lawsuit coffee the past week; no surprise that of the 24 North Carolina State Park events scheduled for Saturday, seven are water related. We’ll get to those. But first in this week’s 5 weekend activities:
Whack Attack! Invasive Species Removal Workday, Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Lower Haw River State Natural Area, Pittsboro. Periodically, the Friends of the Lower Haw River State Natural Area (pictured) hold workdays to remove the profusion of invasive plants that grow along this linear Natural Area lining the Haw River between Bynum and U.S. 64. It’s a great opportunity to learn about invasive species and to work out some aggression by yanking ‘em out of the ground. BYO — loppers or hand pruners, work gloves, insect repellent and water, that is. Preregistration is required, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “Invasives” in the subject line. Learn more here.
Water-related activities. Rather than highlight one or two, we’ll list them all, with a link you can click to learn more.
- The WaterFULL Experience, 10 a.m., Gorges State Park, Sapphire.
- Boat Tour, 10 a.m., Lake James State Park, Nebo.
- Let’s Go Fishing, 10 a.m., Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area, Hillsborough.
- Fly Fishing Program, 10 a.m., New River State Park, Laurel Springs.
- Gyotaku Fish Printing, 11 a.m., Hammocks Beach State Park, Swansboro.
- Cleaning the Catch, 2 p.m., Hammocks Beach State Park, Swansboro.
- Fly Casting Demonstration, 3 p.m., Stone Mountain State Park, Roaring Gap.
OK, that’s more than 5 — consider it a gift for the weekend. Speaking of weekend gifts, check the forecast: temperatures in the low 80s under clear skies.
And yes, it really is the last weekend of spring: summer officially starts Tuesday.
* * *
Our first GetHiking! Summer Weekend Escape on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail was everything you hope of in a weekend of hiking: cool temperatures, lots of sun, great hiking companions. Check it out here.
And we still have two left. Click the appropriate link for more information.