It’s been a toasty first week of October, but the forecast for the weekend calls for cooling and temperatures of a more seasonal nature. That said, some thoughts on how you can get out and enjoy an adventurous weekend.
- GetHiking! Triangle: 5 Miles on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake, Durham. Saturday, 9 a.m. Record heat has kept fall color at bay, but it’s a good bet we’ll see some on this hike that includes ecosystems that tend to promote early color. One of the more remote stretches of the MST through the Triangle. Learn more and sign up here.
- Vade Mecum Trails Open, Hanging Rock State Park, Danbury. Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. The first weekend of every month, this new section of Hanging Rock State Park opens its trails for hiking, taking you into remote parts of the Sauratown Range and past remnants of the area’s past as Camp Sertoma. Learn more here.
- Fall Hike Along Commissary Trail, Mount Mitchell State Park, Burnsville (sorta). 2 miles. Sunday, 10 a.m. A ranger-led hike on this trail just below the ridgeline of the Black Mountain Crest, the highest mountain range on the East Coast. Expect cold temperatures and good color at this elevation. Learn more here.
You can find more opportunities this weekend here:
- North Carolina State Parks have a variety of adventures planned for the weekend. Check those options here.
- North Carolina Environmental Education Centers has an extensive calendar of what’s happening at its affiliates; check it out here.
- You can also find more adventures right here, at GetGoingNC.com.
From our video, you can learn more about South Mountains State Park here, and if you were intrigued by the backpacking element, we have the following opportunities available this fall:
- GetBackpacking! Intro to Backpacking, Oct. 29, Nov. 3, Nov. 10. Our 3-part course aimed at folks interested in becoming backpackers. Learn more and sign up here.
- GetBackpacking! Overnight Sampler, Oct. 20-21. This overnighter is for folks who are backpack-curious, but not sure they’re ready to fully commit. All key backpacking gear provided. Learn more and sign up here.
- GetBackpacking! Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock/Citico Creek Wilderness, Oct. 25-29. Great opportunity for folks new to backpacking to take a key role in planning a backpack trip and to explore a wilderness area. Learn more and sign up here.
- GetBackpacking! on the Neusiok Trail, Nov. 30-Dec. 2. Three days and two nights on a popular 21-mile trail that runs through the coastal Croatan National Forest. Learn more and sign up here.