Saturday is National Trails Day. Since 1993, the first Saturday of June has been set aside as a way to celebrate our nation’s trails, either by recreating on them or working to improve them.
Today, we highlight 5 National Trails Day events with particular promise.
- NC Trail Days, Elkin, yesterday through Sunday. Elkin, located smack dab on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail, can’t contain its celebration to one day, let alone one type of trail or event. Hiking, mountain biking, paddling, running — they’re all covered as the town celebrates two nearby state parks (Stone Mountain and Pilot Mountain) and three big trails (MST, Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail, Yadkin River Paddle Trail). Too many events to mention here, so we’ll simply refer you to the NC Trail Days home page, here.
- NTD Workday at Crowders Mountain, Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – noon, Crowders Mountain State Park, Kings Mountain. Ready to help improve some trail in the Charlotte area’s popular park? You’ll get a chance after gathering at the Sparrow Springs Access for refreshments, instructions and introduction of crew leaders. You’ll also be provided with water, snacks, work gloves, safety glasses, insect repellant and tools. Learn more here.
- Guided Hike at 12-Mile Creek Greenway, Saturday, 10 a.m., Waxhaw. Though the creek may be 12 miles, the hike is not. Rather, count on a 3- to 4-mile hike beginning and ending at H.C. Nesbit Park. Includes passage over a 170-foot suspension footbridge. Learn more here.
- Eno River Association extravaganza, Saturday, events at 8, 8:30, and 9 a.m. (two), and at 1 p.m. Birding, workdays and more. Learn more by checking out the Eno River Association calendar here.
- NTD Hike, Saturday, 9 a.m., Merchants Millpond State Park, Gatesville. Merchants Millpond is one of those state parks you’ve likely heard good things about, but haven’t visited because it’s tucked away in the remote northeast corner of the state. Saturday’s NTD Hike on the 2-mile Coleman Trail is a good excuse to make the journey. The hike is flat, easy, and exposes you to the junglelike setting of Merchants Millpond (bring bug spray!). Stick around afterward and enjoy more of the park. Maybe even rent a canoe ($10 per hour) and explore the millpond. Learn more here.
Looking for more?
To find additional events, check out:
- American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day event page, which lists 16 events in North Carolina. Find it here.
- North Carolina State Parks events page. Find it here.
- Virginia State Parks events page. Virginia has 33 NTD events planned at its state parks, some of which are just over the North Carolina state line). Find them here.
Explore with Us!
We’ve got a variety of summer programs and trips planned, starting with our first GetHiking! Summer Weekend Escape, which is next weekend on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Doughton Park. About 20 miles of hiking starting Friday evening and ending early afternoon Sunday. Learn more here.
Learn about our other summer offerings at GetGoingNC.com, click on Explore with Us!